Wednesday, August 1, 2012

How To Make A Fake Gas Mask; Episode 2


Uh, hey.  Yes I am back.  I am not dead.  I am still making cool stuff, but I was going to try something new.  I was going to try it in video.  Yeah, cool idea huh?  Not if your camera has no batteries, and your Windows Movie Maker suddenly disappeared.  So I have no way to record video, and now way to edit/put it together.  I could just record it in one fell swoop but since most props take about a couple of months to create, it would be near impossible.  This is a rip off to because I have recently made a lot of really cool, better stuff (better than shoving water bottles on your arms…).   A Boba Fett helmet and costume, a Hans Solo costume, three different types of Light Sabers, a hook hand, a Tusken Raider costume (not really, but I have a plan), a Jedi costume, a Jawa costume a fake ammo belt, Thors hammer, a gas mask, some sort of claws, a hidden blade, and a hat.  Pretty cool stuff if you exclude the hat.  I have no pictures, videos, or anything.  I should get some videos, but how can I edit them together?  So from this day forward I am definitely going to take a bunch of pictures.  Here is one I took right now.  There aren’t all the props I made in the picture because I didn’t want to invest an hour looking for everything and then having my camera take a bad picture.

This picture consists of me wearing gas mask and the hat, along with the claws and hook hand.  On your left is an unfinished Boba Fett helmet supporting a light saber.  Next to that is the armor.  Then the Thor hammer supporting two light sabers and an ammo belt.  So I am going to show you how I build everything in this picture and some other stuff.  Keep in mind a lot of this is still unfinished but hey, I know what the next thing I am going to do is.  This tutorial will show you how I made the gas mask.  Let’s get this started.
I used a black under shirt like this one for the hood.
 
I put it on upside down and then marked where my eyes go.  Be careful doing this as one of the eye holes on mine is too big and lopsided.  You can choose to wear black sunglasses under this for a cool look.  If you had flight goggles you could paint them black.  That would be a great look.  Sort of like Hydra from Captain America.  Or that.  That is awesome.

 I had a under shirt, but would recommend using a black ski mask.  If you use an undershirt you need some sort of hat.  I use a black baseball helmet.

On to the filters A.K.A the things on the outside.  I wanted one with two of the things but it would be easy to mod this into a mask with one big thing on the front.  Like this.

For my filters I used cat food cans covered in tape, and attached with tape.  I would definitely recommend attaching them with hot glue.  Make sure to WASH the cans.  Gas masks should not overpower you with the scent of fish, and chicken.  Position them on either side of your mouth.
That’s it.  Thanks for reading.
Erik
P.S.  I am actually going to post how I made the rest of this stuff!  Trust me.

1 comment: